Friday 26 March 2010

Feedback from my in school focus group

This is a video of my classmates giving feedback on my magazine



As a class we all looked at three magazines anonymously and gave feedback about each one. Here is the feedback I received for my magazines.
The questions they had to answer were:
1. Who do you think the magazine is aimed at?
2. Is it similar to any other current publications? If so, which?
3. What do you like about the magazine?
4. Would you buy this magazine? If not, who would?
5. Have you noticed any errors? Spelling mistake?
6. Would you change anything about the magazine?

Person 1

1 - A mid teen social group that a associated with the music genre related to morrissey. Perhaps a dark, gothic, emo social group, due to the amount of red and black colorings used.

2- I cant think of any magazines that look similar, therefore it looks unique.

3 - I like the different uses of font, makes it more interesting visually. I also like the black background with white text on the centre page, gives a good, professional impression. I also like the photograph used for the double page spread, with an interesting, related background.
I thought that the continuity of using a Morrissey t-shirt on the front cover was a good idea.

4 - I don’t think that personally I would purchase the magazine as the social group that the magazine conveys would appeal to me. I think a true morrisey fan is likely to purchase the magazine and also, with the heavy amount of photographs of a girl that are featured it may appeal to the female audience.

5- There’s a spelling mistake on the contents Ive noticed, ‘Album reviews, 20’

6 - I think that, although continuity is good, there is too much use of the colour red on the contents page and could do with some different colours.
I think that also, you shouldn’t mention that the picture on your contents page is what inspired your front cover.

Person 2

1. Emo/rock/indie element

2. I think that the magazine is fairly similar to the magazine Kerrang! because of the emo feel of the magazine

3. i like the red theme in the magazine because it adds consistency throughout I like how it follows the same colour scheme throughout the magazine. I think it has an individual look and i haven't seen any other music magazine like it. I think someone who was a fan of morrissey would buy it as this is a strong theme of the magazine. I think the contents page could be bolder as it looks quite plain with just the red and white colours used. I think the font on the double page spread should be smaller \

4. i probably wouldn’t buy this magazine because i’m not really in the target audience and i never buy music magazine anyways. I think this magazine will appeal to a teenage group, the magazine seems to be geared towards a more gothic emo style of music, the colour scheme suggests this.

5. Album revews - album reviews

6. could possibly be improved with the white quote on the double page spread being brought down a bit

Person 3

1. I think the type of social group that is represented is old classic rock, old music from around the 70’s, social groups such as teenagers that are interested in old classics, more for the nice market.

2. I think it’s quite similar to magazines such as Kerrang or similar magazines like that, as the colour theme of red is carried through the magazine and appears to have an ‘attitude’ to it.

3. I liked the linking images through the magazine and the professional look to it.

4. I would buy it, because its the type of music i’m interested in and the colours and images appeal to me. I would pay no more than £3.50 for it.

5. The word ‘review’ in the contents, other than that, no mistakes.

6. I think the font on the double page spread could be changed to give a more professional feel to it, but other than that I think it’s really good and looks professional, like something that could be on the shelves.

I also received some feedback from my teacher. She said:

Front cover- 'lovely. Nowhere boy font too large, typography needs re sizing, but great font and pun.

Double page spread- 'stop' should have a capital S. Some stills from the video and/or your own photography would improve this'

Contents- 'you could up date it with an offer to win Blur's dvd release.'

No comments:

Post a Comment